Wheels Across Montana or WAM is a recently funded grant housed at the University of Montana’s Rural Institute for Inclusive Communities and the MonTECH programs. The mission of WAM is to provide adaptive trikes and recreational equipment to Montanans living with disabilities. Our project includes partners in Billings, Dillon, Fort Peck, Helena, and Missoula. The program launched in summer of 2016.
Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation provided funding to launch our assistive technology project as part of their inaugural Quality of Life High Impact Innovative Assistive Technology Grant Program. This grant offers greater independence to individuals living with paralysis and provides our communities with services that will truly enhance all of our lives. For more information, please visit their website or contact Rita Gentles at the Dana & Christopher Reeve Foundation at email@example.com.
Loaning WAM bikes/trikes provides active time with your family and/or community while enjoying greater physical activity and health. WAM trikes will accommodate all ages and most abilities and staff is available to help decide which bike would be best for you or your family member.
Our partner organizations include:
- Billings: Billings Family YMCA and St. Vincent Hospital’s Headways Program
- Dillon: Southwestern YMCA and Barrett Hospital
- Fort Peck: Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Wellness Program at Fort Peck and community programs
- Helena: The YMCA of Helena, Montana and the Helena Parks & Recreation Department
- Missoula: The New Directions Wellness Center and Missoula Parks & Recreation Department
- WAM Informational Brochure July 2016 (pdf)
- Rifton Tricycles: Sample Letter of Medical Necessity
- Bike Funding Sheet
- Where to buy a bicycle helmet